DOUSYOU - learn Japanese with me

月曜日, 10月 20, 2003

New Phrase: めずらしい
Meaning and Thoughts: I heard an old lady say this the other day... one of the old ladies was riding home on her bike, and Old Lady1 said 「おそいね」 Old Lady2 said something in agrement (old people ride slowly so they could have this conversation while going in opposite directions!) and then Old Lady1 said 「めずらしいねえ」 and something else... I was a little confused, asked about it, and now know that it means kind of like its rare... which in this case means of course "wow, you normally come home so much earlier" etc etc... I also learned that this word can be used with the word オヤ which is the old lady "wow" similar to the other old lady "wow" (or should we say "oh my goodness!") which is おやま (a word I have known for a very long time, for some reason!)