Wow, it's been way too long since I've updated this learning blog. Bad bad me.
はなきん (花金)
This is literately Flower Fridays, but it's used for like "thank god it's Friday (TGIF)" and I think that's funny!
ぜんそく (喘息)
Sadly a few weeks ago the land lord's grandson had to go to the hospital. He was allergic to dogs and had an "asthma" attack. And that's an import word--- can't believe I didn't know that?
せんぬき (栓抜き)
Was hanging out with a friend at his house and his wife asked in Japanese for the "bottle opener" (also use for "corkscrew") and I was shocked I didn't know this word! Now I hope it won't be a mind gap.
おじゃんになる
I learned this from context. Someone I know was planning to come to visit Tokyo but had to cancel because of work suddenly getting in the way so they sent in an email: 東京はおじゃん。Meaning all the plans "came to nothing" (plans fell through) or something like that. Often seen as おじゃんになってしまった。I like the feeling of this depressed phrase for some reason.
ちんぷんかんぷん (珍紛漢紛)
This one is more common in Hiragana letters I believe. This means "gobbledygook" or incoherent language. And I love the sound of the word!
じゅくじょ (熟女)
This rather saucy word came up at a party of sorts. People asked a guy when he married a woman older than him and he said he like "MILFs" (sexually attractive older women) and if you can read kanji you maybe already guessed what it means because the characters are quite obvious.
ぱんのみみ (パンの耳)
I love this word! It illustrates how two cultures can develop two completely opposite ways to see the same thing. Literally it means the Bread's Ears, but it's what is called the "bread crust" in English. I learned this while reading Snoopy in Japanese!
So I was soooo late updating. Will try to update more often! Learning is a life long process...
はなきん (花金)
This is literately Flower Fridays, but it's used for like "thank god it's Friday (TGIF)" and I think that's funny!
ぜんそく (喘息)
Sadly a few weeks ago the land lord's grandson had to go to the hospital. He was allergic to dogs and had an "asthma" attack. And that's an import word--- can't believe I didn't know that?
せんぬき (栓抜き)
Was hanging out with a friend at his house and his wife asked in Japanese for the "bottle opener" (also use for "corkscrew") and I was shocked I didn't know this word! Now I hope it won't be a mind gap.
おじゃんになる
I learned this from context. Someone I know was planning to come to visit Tokyo but had to cancel because of work suddenly getting in the way so they sent in an email: 東京はおじゃん。Meaning all the plans "came to nothing" (plans fell through) or something like that. Often seen as おじゃんになってしまった。I like the feeling of this depressed phrase for some reason.
ちんぷんかんぷん (珍紛漢紛)
This one is more common in Hiragana letters I believe. This means "gobbledygook" or incoherent language. And I love the sound of the word!
じゅくじょ (熟女)
This rather saucy word came up at a party of sorts. People asked a guy when he married a woman older than him and he said he like "MILFs" (sexually attractive older women) and if you can read kanji you maybe already guessed what it means because the characters are quite obvious.
ぱんのみみ (パンの耳)
I love this word! It illustrates how two cultures can develop two completely opposite ways to see the same thing. Literally it means the Bread's Ears, but it's what is called the "bread crust" in English. I learned this while reading Snoopy in Japanese!
So I was soooo late updating. Will try to update more often! Learning is a life long process...
<< Home