DOUSYOU - learn Japanese with me

火曜日, 5月 20, 2014

I've been learning a pile of words, but just like last time, I was slow to update anything. I really need to get back into the habit of continuously updating this learning blog.


I was talking to R about light and places where there is no light and this word popped up:

しょうにゅうどう (鍾乳洞)
"Cavern" (or limestone cave) which is interestingly related to "stalactite" しょうにゅうせき (鍾乳石)

I was watching an old drama about traveling back in time using photos. It was an odd one, but taught me a ton of new words:

あこがれ (憧れ)
Yearning / longing

はなたば (花束)
A bouquet of flowers

のろま (鈍間)
An idiot/blockhead

てれる (照れる)
To feel shy

どうてい (童貞)
Virginity (usually male)

えしゃく (会釈)
Head nod, mini "hello" bow


I was having an odd conversation with a friend about the guy she kind of likes or something and learned these odd words:

ふうぞく (風俗)
Sex industry / prostitution (I think I knew this one already but it wasn't so clear)

のうそっちゅう (脳卒中)
Stroke / cerebral hemorrhage

けっぺきしょう (潔癖性)
Clean freak / super tidy person

Also learned some words from TV/YouTube/Internet:

れいせん (冷戦)
The Cold War (the kanji on this one is so literal !)

すっぴん (素っぴん)
No make up (this was on a friends Instagram picture!)

みかた (味方)
Supporter / ally

ぐ (具)
The ingredients / goods / tool etc (be careful !! 貝[かい shell] is a slightly different kanji --!!)

ゆうき (有機)
Organic (food)


And finally two fun idioms I also learned. i helped put the first one in a friends speech, and everyone loved it.

けいぞくはちからなり (継続は力なり)
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" those that continue get stronger.

ふこうちゅうのさいわい (不幸中の幸い)
The silver lining. The small happiness in something sad. Something good that came out of the bad.


See? So many new words right? Gosh I need to update more often!!